The Mali Ministry of Health announced that as a public health precaution following a reported outbreak of Ebola Virus in a remote northwestern province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Malian authorities are conducting routine screenings of all travelers arriving from the DRC at points of entry into Mali, including at Modibo Keita International Airport in Bamako and at all land border crossing points. The World Health Organization has reported 33 possible cases of Ebola virus disease in the DRC, including 18 deaths. Ebola is one of the causes of viral hemorrhagic fever.
Actions to Take:
- Review the Mali country page.
- Visit the CDC Travelers Health Page.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bamako located at ACI 2000, Rue 243, Porte 297, BP 34, Bamako, Mali, the Consular Section at tel. +223 20 70 25 05; 20 70 23 40 from Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +223 66 75 28 60.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.