Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following place in Bamako, Mali:
- Palais de la Culture
The Coordination of Movements, Associations, and Sympathizers of Mahmoud Dicko (CMAS) is planning a meeting on Saturday, February 29, at 10:00 AM. This event will occur at the Palais de la Culture.
While this meeting is expected to be peaceful, other gatherings of large groups in Bamako have caused traffic disruptions and resulted in burning of tires and the deployment of tear gas.
U.S. citizens are strongly advised to avoid the meeting area on Saturday, February 29, 2020.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the area of the meeting
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates on the meeting
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.