Event: During the holiday season security measures in Mali remain heightened due to ongoing threats posed by transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology throughout Africa. Extremists continue to focus on locations such as shopping centers, airports, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, street markets, and other public venues frequented by Westerners. Please exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at holiday events.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance throughout the holiday season.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when driving at night and avoid walking after dark.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 25 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.