Date Open: February 27, 2018
Date Closed: April 05, 2018
Minimum Award Amount: $5,000
Maximum Award Amount: $25,000
Background and funding opportunity description
The U.S. Embassy Bamako in collaboration with the Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration (PRM) is pleased to welcome proposals via the Julia Taft Refugee Fund from potential partners working in the area of refugees’ protection in Mali. This support is meant to meet low-cost gaps in refugee protection and assistance.
Eligibility criteria and funding guidelines for the Taft Refugee Fund:
- The funds are meant to support sustainable (beyond one year) projects that assist refugees or refugee returnees.
- Priority populations include refugees and refugee returnees; however exceptions can be made in some regions with “populations of concern” to PRM, such as internally displaced persons (IDPs), vulnerable migrants, and stateless persons.
- Consideration for support is also given to projects that benefit both populations of concern and their host communities.
- The fund is not meant as an emergency fund.
- Applicants must be a registered organization (e.g.: NGO, community-based organization; faith-based organization).
- Local NGOs will be given priority.
Applications that do not include ALL of the components below will automatically be rejected.
- Proposal (there is no specific form for the application, but each application has to include the information in the document listed in the annex)
- Detailed project timeline/calendar
- Detailed budget
- CV/Resume of Project Manager and other key project personnel
- At least one reference/recommendation letter from other donors or stakeholders
- Proof of national registration of the organization
- Copy of bank statement or other proof of existing bank account
- A copy of the Signed Code of Conduct of the organization that is consistent with the six core principles from the Inter-Agency Standing Committee recommendations (these can be provided upon request)
- Completed and signed federal forms: SF424, SF424A and SF424B (these can be provided upon request)
- DUNS Number
*All applications must be in English. However, applicants can provide an additional copy in French.
Review and Selection Process
A selection committee at the U. S. Embassy Bamako will review all applications received under this announcement based on the following criteria:
- Organizational capacity of the organization– the organization has experience in implementing activities related to vulnerable groups and is focused on economic and social development and demonstrates the ability to implement the activities proposed;
- Sustainability Plan– the proposal demonstrates a clear sustainability plan beyond the life of the award;
- Cost Application– the proposed costs are reasonable in relation to the proposed activities and anticipated results;
- Monitoring and evaluation– the applicant should provide a clear monitoring and evaluation plan that includes specific, measurable, and achievable indicators.
- Once the review process is completed, the U.S. Embassy will notify the successful applicants as well as the unsuccessful applicants. Prospective grantees will receive further instructions along with the notification of successful proposal. Once awarded, each grantee will be responsible for the program and financial reporting as specified in the award agreement.
Type of activities that can be funded under this program
Please make sure that there is a strong tie to the local context building on the competencies / capacity of the proposing organization:
- Improve the mental health of the refugee community.
- Build a playground for refugee children.
- Start an income generating cooperative for returnees.
- Support livelihoods training and sports programs.
- Support a transit center for unaccompanied minor refugees and asylum seekers.
- Provide a shelter for 150 women and girls who are survivors of gender-based violence (GBV).
- Support a vocational training program for refugees.
- Support returnees with manufacturing of liquid soap.
- Train refugees in gardening and running small businesses.
- Support an income generating project and provide health care to disabled residents.
- Support an urban refugee training and girls’ empowerment project.
- Train mothers of youth, who participate in non-formal out-of-school program, on furniture re-upholstery and also provide the women with basic hygiene awareness.
In order to be considered for this funding opportunity, please submit your applications by email to or in hard copy by sending them to the U.S. Embassy, Bamako by April 5, 2018.
All organizations are encouraged to submit their applications before the April 5 deadline.
Please contact Neneh Diallo at firstname.lastname@example.org should you need any additional information.
Give a brief description of the primary problem that your application wishes to address.
The objectives should correspond directly to the problem stated in your Problem Statement and should be concise. Objectives should be specific, measurable, appropriate, realistic and time-bound (SMART).
Provide a fairly broad statement of your approach to solving the problem.
Describe the major activities that will be carried out to reach the grant objectives.
Provide a brief outline stating how the organization proposes to sustain its activities beyond the completion and end of the grant.
Provide concise time frames and sequencing for the implementation of each activity
Monitoring and Evaluation Plan
Provide indicators and target number of beneficiaries you plan to achieve. Describe how outputs and outcomes will be measured.
Institutional Capacity Statement
Describe your organization’s capabilities and qualifications for implementing the grant. Present evidence to prove how and why your organization is likely to succeed in implementing the grant.
The cost/budget application should be provided as a separate document. This should detail all direct costs associated with the implementation of grant activities with the equivalent in USD as well. Please provide a description of the costs included in the budget and how each expenditure or procurement contributes to project results.
Please provide if available:
- Organizational Chart
- Résumé of Key Personnel
- Copy of Proof of Registration
- Other attachments as deemed relevant by the applicant