Location: Bamako, Mali
Event: The group Mouvement du 5 Juin – Rassemblement des Forces Patriotiques has cancelled its demonstration scheduled for July 17, 2020 at the Monument de l’Independence, but called for continued civil disobedience on July 17. Spontaneous demonstrations are possible throughout Bamako.
These demonstrations sometimes turn violent resulting in the burning of tires, clashes with the police, blockage on the roads and bridges, throwing of rocks at vehicles, the deployment of tear gas, and small arms fire.
The U.S. Embassy has advised employees to avoid unnecessary travel after 2:00 p.m. on July 17.
American citizens are advised to:
- Exercise caution if traveling, especially when crossing the bridges
- Do not attempt to drive through protests or roadblocks
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444