Location: Bamako, Mali
Event: The group Mouvement du 5 Juin – Rassemblement des Forces Patriotiques has called for continued demonstrations and civil disobedience. Spontaneous demonstrations throughout Bamako are possible on July 14.
These demonstrations sometimes turn violent resulting in the burning of tires, clashes with the police, blockage on the roads and bridges, the deployment of tear gas, and small arms fire. The U.S. Embassy has received reports that at least one of the bridges is blocked.
The U.S. Embassy has advised employees to avoid unnecessary travel and not to cross the bridges on July 14.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid unnecessary travel and do not cross the bridges
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.