Monument de l’Indépendance
The High Islamic Council of Mali is calling for a mass demonstration along the Monument de l’Indepéndance at 14:00 on Friday, November 4, 2022. Traffic disruptions are expected.
Although previous demonstrations have been peaceful, there is always the potential for violence. Expect blockages of roads and bridges.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations
- Do not attempt to drive through protests or roadblocks
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs - 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.