Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Police Headquarters
- Ministry of Security
- Cite Administrative
Events: There will be a demonstration organized by the Police Union starting at Police Headquarters, continuing to the Ministry of Security, and ending at the Cite Administrative on September 27th starting at 8:00. The specific route of the demonstration is unknown. While the demonstrations are intended to be peaceful, there will likely be a heavy impact on traffic in the area and the situation may become unstable.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the listed locations on September 27th, 2019.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates on locations and time of the demonstrations
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.