Location: Monument de l’Independance
Event: The group Mouvement du 5 Juin – Rassemblement des Forces Patriotiques (M5-RFP) has called for a demonstration on August 21, 2020 at 2:00 pm. Spontaneous demonstrations are also possible in other areas of Mali. This event has not yet been authorized by the local authorities.
These demonstrations sometimes turn violent resulting in the burning of tires, clashes with the police, blockage on the roads and bridges, throwing of rocks at vehicles, the deployment of tear gas, and small arms fire.
The U.S. Embassy has advised staff to stay home during the protest and to exercise increased vigilance. The nationwide curfew from 9:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. remains in effect. The U.S. Embassy has implemented a curfew for Embassy employees from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. daily.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the Monument de l’Independance
- Shelter in place or remain indoors, if possible, during the demonstration
- Exercise caution if traveling, especially when crossing the bridges
- Do not attempt to drive through protests or roadblocks
- Avoid travel late at night
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.