Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Ministry of Security in ACI 2000
Police unions are planning a sit-in at 2:00 pm on Friday, February 14, 2020. The event will take place in front of the Ministry of Security in ACI 2000 near the 14th Police Precinct. **It is not clear if this event is authorized by the government.
While the sit-in is expected to be peaceful, other demonstrations in Bamako have caused traffic disruptions and resulted in burning of tires and the deployment of tear gas.
U.S. citizens are strongly advised to avoid the demonstration on Friday, February 14, 2020.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstration
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates on locations and times of the demonstration
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.