Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to the Monument de L’Independence in Bamako, Mali
There will be a demonstration organized by the group ‘Appel Pour Le Mali (APM)’ at Monument de L’Independence in Bamako, Mali on Friday, November 22 at 2:00 PM. The event is authorized by the government. While the demonstration is expected to be peaceful, recent demonstrations have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the listed location on November 22, 2019.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstration
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates on locations and time of the demonstration
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.