Locations: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- February 27 – Ministry of Security in ACI 2000
. February 28 – Place de Liberte and Monument de L’Independance
February 27: Former police recruits are planning a sit-in on Thursday, February 27 at 7:00 AM to express their dissatisfaction. The event will take place in front of the Ministry of Security in ACI 2000 near the 14th Police Precinct. Local authorities have not authorized the event.
February 28: The Platform Against Corruption and Unemployment is calling for a march on Friday, February 28 at 2:00 PM to call for the re-opening of schools. They have invited all civil organizations, unions, and school partners to join the demonstration. This event will begin at Monument de l’Independance and finish at Monument de la Paix. The government has authorized the march.
While these demonstrations are expected to be peaceful, other demonstrations in Bamako have caused traffic disruptions and resulted in burning of tires and the deployment of tear gas.
U.S. citizens are strongly advised to avoid the demonstrations on Thursday, February 27 and Friday, February 28, 2020.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates on locations and times of the demonstrations
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us onTwitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in theSmart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.