There will be a demonstration organized by the Patriot Group of Mali (GPM) and the Yiribacoro Association of Mali on Friday, December 13th at 15:00 to demand the departure of French forces from Mali. The march is expected to begin at Babemba and end at Bourse du Travail. This demonstration is authorized by the local government.
Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Bourse du Travail
While this demonstration is expected to be peaceful, recent events have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures. Demonstrations often cause traffic disruptions.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the listed locations on December 13th.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstration
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates on location and times of the demonstration
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.