The announced gathering point is the Monument d’Independence in Bamako, Mali.
Several groups are calling for a march on Friday, April 5th at 14:00 to denounce insecurity in Mali. The demonstration has not been approved by local authorities and may attract large crowds. Traffic disruptions are likely, and the Embassy has received reports indicating that violence is possible. Some schools and banks have announced closures due to potential unrest.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area around the Monument d’Independence on April 5, 2019.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates on locations and time of the demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.