Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Bourse du Travail
There will be a demonstration organized by the Mouvement Démocratique Populaire on Friday December 20, 2019 at 3:00 PM. The demonstration will take place at Independence Square, in front of Bourse du Travail.
Additionally, the Platform of Support for Justice is calling for a meeting at 2:00 PM at Place CAN, in ACI 2000.
The specific route of the demonstration is unknown. While the demonstrations are intended to be peaceful, there will likely be a heavy impact on traffic in the area and the situation may become unstable.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the above locations on December 20, 2019.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstration
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates on location and times of the demonstration
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.