Demonstration Alert – Planned Demonstration for April 17, 2020
Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Monument de l’independence
- Monument de la Paix
The political party URD has called for a march at the Monument de l’Independance on Friday April 17 from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. to call for the release of its leader, Soumaila Cisse. The Malian authorities have not approved this demonstration.
The Teachers’ Union is also calling for a sit-in at the Monument de la Paix on Friday April 17 at 8:00 a.m. to protest measures taken by the government regarding their salaries. The Malian authorities have not approved this demonstration.
These events may draw more than 50 people, which is prohibited under current Malian COVID-19 countermeasures. Recent events have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures. Also, demonstrations often cause traffic disruptions.
U.S. citizens are strongly advised to avoid the demonstration area on April 17, 2020.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates
- S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.