Announced gathering point includes, but is not limited to, the following place in Bamako, Mali:
– Monument de l’Independance
The group Mouvement de 5 Juin – Rassemblement des Forces Patriotiques is planning a demonstration at the Monument de L’Independance on Friday, June 19 at 2:00 p.m. Some of the organizers of this demonstration, including Imam Mahmoud Dicko, have been known to draw large crowds to similar protests. The Malian authorities have approved this demonstration.
Recent demonstrations have turned violent, resulting in the burning of tires, clashes with the police, and the deployment of tear gas. Some of these violent clashes have taken place following the demonstration in adjacent neighborhoods. At a minimum, these demonstrations cause traffic disruptions.
U.S. citizens are strongly advised to avoid the demonstration area and immediate vicinity on June 19, 2020.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the area of the demonstration
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.