Announced gathering point includes, but is not limited to, the following place in Bamako, Mali:
Monument de l’Independance
The group Forces Vives Engagees Resolument pour la Demission de IBK (FERDI) is planning a demonstration at the Monument de L’Independance on Friday, June 5 at 2:00 p.m. FERDI plans to call for the resignation of the President of Mali. Some of the organizers of this demonstration, including Imam Mahmoud Dicko, have been known to draw large crowds to similar protests. In a public statement issued June 2, 2020, the Government of Mali approved this demonstration.
A pro-government group is planning a counter-demonstration to support the President of Mali. The time and place of this event have not been announced.
In light of the Government of Mali’s restrictions on public gatherings, police may use force to disperse crowds. Recent demonstrations have turned violent, resulting in the burning of tires, clashes with the police, and the deployment of tear gas. At a minimum, these demonstrations generally cause traffic disruptions.
U.S. citizens are strongly advised to avoid the demonstration areas on
June 5, 2020.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.