Announced gathering point includes, but is not limited to, the following place in Bamako, Mali:
Bourse du Travail
The Union for the Republic and Democracy (URD) political party is planning a demonstration to demand action from the Government of Mali in securing the release of its president, Soumaila Cisse, at the Bourse du Travail on Thursday, July 2 at 2:00 p.m. The Malian authorities have approved this demonstration.
Recent demonstrations have turned violent, resulting in the burning of tires, clashes with the police, and the deployment of tear gas. At a minimum, these demonstrations cause traffic disruptions.
U.S. citizens are strongly advised to avoid the demonstration area and immediate vicinity on July 2, 2020.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the area of the demonstration
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.