Announced gathering point includes, but is not limited to, the following place in Bamako, Mali:
- Bourse du Travail
The Platform Against Corruption has called for a protest on Thursday, May 19 at 3:00 p.m. to call for the release of its president, professor Clement Mahamadou Dembele. This event will occur at the Bourse du Travail. The Malian authorities have not approved this demonstration.
This event may draw more than 50 people, which is prohibited under Malian COVID-19 countermeasures. Recent events have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures. Also, demonstrations often cause traffic disruptions.
U.S. citizens are strongly advised to avoid the demonstration area on
May 19, 2020.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstration
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.