Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Place de la Liberté
- Monument d l’Independence
The Teachers’ Union will hold a march on March 11, 2020 to demand the government uphold its agreement with the teachers. The march will begin at Place de la Liberté and proceed to Monument de l’Independence. This event is authorized by the local government.
While this demonstration is expected to be peaceful, recent events have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures. Also, demonstrations often cause traffic disruptions.
U.S. citizens are strongly advised to avoid the demonstration area on March 11, 2020.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the area of the demonstration
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates on the march
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.