Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy, Bamako, Mali – May 28, 2021
Bourse du Travail, Bamako
The National Youth Movement for the Support of Cooperation Mali-Russia (MNJSC Mali-Russia) is calling for a demonstration to demand a Mali-Russia defense agreement. The demonstration is slated to occur at 2:00 PM on Friday, May 28, 2021, in the vicinity of the Esplanade de la Bourse du Travail. Malian authorities are aware of, but have not yet approved, the protest.
Demonstrations sometimes turn violent, resulting in the burning of tires, clashes with the police, blockage on the roads and bridges, throwing of rocks at vehicles, the deployment of tear gas, and small arms fire.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the area of the demonstration
- Do not attempt to drive through protests or roadblocks
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a means of communication (cell phone, etc.) with you at all times
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.