Monument de l’Indépendance
Yerewolo Debout sur Les Remparts is planning a demonstration to demand the departure of French forces from Mali, to show support for the transition government, and to support the deployment of Russian security forces in Mali. The demonstration is expected to take place at the Monument de l’Indépendance on October 29 at 2:00 PM.
Demonstrations sometimes turn violent, resulting in the burning of tires, clashes with the police, blockage on the roads and bridges, throwing of rocks at vehicles, the deployment of tear gas, and small arms fire.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the area of demonstrations
- Do not attempt to drive through protests or roadblocks
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a means of communication (cell phone, etc.) with you at all times
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.