Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy, Bamako, Mali – April 28, 2021
Energy of Mali (EDM) Headquarters
The group called the Coalition of Victims of Repetitive Power Cuts has called for a sit-in on Thursday, April 29 at 10:00 AM in front of the Energy of Mali (EDM) headquarters. This is the second planned demonstration by the group; the previous one was forcefully dispersed by police on April 22. This event has not been approved by the government. Given the proposed location of the sit-in, it has the potential to disrupt traffic.
Demonstrations sometimes turn violent, resulting in the burning of tires, clashes with the police, blockage on the roads and bridges, throwing of rocks at vehicles, the deployment of tear gas, and small arms fire.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the area of the demonstration
- Do not attempt to drive through protests or roadblocks
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.