Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Place de la Liberté
- Monument d’Independence
- Bourse du Travail
Event: At 08:00 on December 8 opposition leaders are planning a peaceful march to denounce the government’s redistricting plan and protest the security situation in Mali. While the demonstrations are intended to be peaceful, recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the listed locations on December 8, 2018.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates on locations and time of the demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.