Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Place CAN in ACI 2000
- Monument d ’Independence
- Bourse du Travail
- Badalabougou near the G5-Sahel Headquarters
Event: Multiple separate demonstrations are scheduled to take place the afternoon of Friday June 21, 2019 starting at 1400. While the demonstrations are intended to be peaceful, recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the listed locations on June 21, 2019.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates on locations and time of the demonstrations
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.