Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Place CAN in ACI 2000
- Monument Bougiba
- Mess Militaire in Badalabougou
Events: An authorized march is scheduled to take place July 12th, starting at 1400. The march will go from the Place CAN to the Monument Bougiba. In addition, demonstrations are scheduled to take place in front of the Mess Militaire in Badalabougou on July 12th and 13th starting at 1400. While the demonstrations are intended to be peaceful, recent events have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the listed locations on July 12 and 13, 2019.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates on locations and time of the demonstrations
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.