Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy, Bamako, Mali – July 15, 2021
Place de la Liberté and the Ministry of Defense
The “Collective for the Defense of the Military” is planning a peaceful march on July 16, 2021, at 2:30 PM. The march will occur between the Place de la Liberté and the Ministry of Defense. The demonstration has been approved by the government.
Demonstrations sometimes turn violent, resulting in the burning of tires, clashes with the police, blockage on the roads and bridges, throwing of rocks at vehicles, the deployment of tear gas, and small arms fire.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the area of demonstrations
- Do not attempt to drive through protests or roadblocks
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a means of communication (cell phone, etc.) with you at all times
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.