Monument de l’Indépendance to Modibo Keita International Airport
The group Yerewolo Standing on the Ramparts is planning a mobile rally against MINUSMA on Friday, June 23 at 1400. The protest will travel south from Monument de l’Indépendance, across Martyr’s Bridge (Old Bridge), to Modibo Keita International Airport.
Avoid areas along the route as this event may have a significant impact on traffic.
Large gatherings and demonstrations sometimes turn confrontational and can escalate into violence, resulting in the burning of tires, clashes with the police, blockage on the roads and bridges, throwing of rocks at vehicles, and the deployment of tear gas.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations
- Do not attempt to drive through protests or roadblocks
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency