Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Bourse du Travail
- Monument de l’Independence.
Event: At 16:00 on March 22 a peaceful demonstration is planned in response to the ongoing school crisis. The planned route is from Bourse du Travail to the Monument de l’Independence. The demonstration has been approved by local authorities and may attract large crowds. Traffic disruptions in the area are likely.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the listed locations on March 22, 2019.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates on locations and time of the demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.