Event: Demonstration Alert – Continued Demonstrations in Bamako, Mali on Saturday July 11, 2020
The group Mouvement du 5 Juin – Rassemblement des Forces Patriotiques has called for continued demonstrations and civil disobedience. Spontaneous demonstrations throughout Bamako are possible on July 11. These demonstrations sometimes turn violent resulting in the burning of tires, clashes with the police, and the deployment of tear gas. At a minimum, demonstrations generally cause traffic disruptions including obstructions on the bridges.
Because of the risk of continued demonstrations and traffic obstructions, the U.S. Embassy has advised staff to avoid any nonessential travel within the city throughout the day. U.S. citizens are strongly advised to stay home on July 11, 2020.
American citizens are advised to:
- Avoid unnecessary travel and stay home if possible
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication with you
- Monitor local media for updates
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444