February 2, 2016
The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens of the ongoing threat of terrorist attacks against large gatherings, particularly music festivals in Mali. The Festival au Désert, scheduled to be held in Timbuktu, was recently canceled due to security concerns. Music festivals in other unsecured locations outside of Bamako, such as the Festival sur le Niger in Segou, are vulnerable to terrorist attacks.
The U.S. Embassy advises against all travel to Mali, especially outside of Bamako. Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Mali Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bamako, located at ACI 2000, Rue 243 Porte 297, at +223 20 70 25 05 at 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from Monday – Thursday; 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +223 66 75 95 79 or +223 66 75 28 60.
- General information may be found on the State Department’s travel website, including the Worldwide Caution of September 9th.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.