December 21, 2018
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Bamako reminds U.S. citizens that security measures in Mali remain heightened due to crime and ongoing threats posed by transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology throughout Africa.
Extremists continue to focus on locations such as shopping centers, airports, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, street markets, and other public venues frequented by Westerners. Please be mindful of the Travel Advisory for Mali and follow the country-specific guidelines outlined for continual vigilance.
Actions to Take:
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when driving at night and avoid walking after dark.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.