Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Place de la Liberte
- Monument d’Independence
- Bourse du Travail
Event: Opposition leaders are planning a peaceful march to protest electoral fraud on Saturday, August 18, 2018, beginning at 08:00. The march is scheduled to start at the Place de la Liberte, continue to the Monument d’Independence, and end at the Bourse de Travail. While the demonstration is intended to be peaceful, recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the listed locations during the morning and afternoon hours of August 18.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates on locations and time of the demonstration.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.