Location: Hamdallaye-ACI 2000 neighborhoods of Bamako. Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to:
· Headquarters of Soumaila Cisse’s campaign in ACI 2000
· Constitutional Court
Event: Supporters of Soumaila Cisse have announced a demonstration for today, August 16, 2018, at 16:00. The demonstration may take the form of a moto/car caravan. While the demonstration is intended to be peaceful, recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the Hamdallaye-ACI 2000 neighborhood during afternoon and evening hours of August 16.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Keep a low profile.
· +223 20 70 23 00
· +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
· State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
· See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.