Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Place de la Liberté
- Bourse du Travail
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place in Bamako on Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 15:00. Opposition groups are planning a peaceful march from Place de la Liberté to Bourse du Travail to reject fraud and to demand transparent and credible elections. Recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid those areas during the afternoon and evening hours of August 11.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.