Location: Bamako and other major cities in Mali.
Event: Malian presidential elections are set for Sunday, July 29, 2018, and polls are scheduled to be open from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. Election Day could lead to civil unrest in Bamako and other major cities in Mali. Due to the possibility of demonstrations and road closures, the U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens to keep personal movements to a minimum and to avoid unnecessary travel on Election Day. Any essential travel within a given neighborhood should be conducted with caution, and travel across bridges in Bamako or across the city should be avoided entirely.
Actions to Take:
· Keep movements to a minimum on Election Day
· Exercise caution if you engage in necessary travel
· Avoid Bamako’s bridges and city center
· Avoid the areas of demonstrations or large gatherings of people
· Keep a low profile
· Monitor local media for updates.
· +223 20 70 23 00
· +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
· State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.