Location: Bamako, Mali
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Mali reminds U.S. citizens that terrorist and armed groups continue plotting attacks in Mali and may be planning attacks over the 2021 New Year’s holiday.
Attacks can occur with little or no warning, targeting night clubs, hotels, restaurants, places of worship, Western diplomatic missions, and other locations frequented by foreigners.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, U.S. Embassy personnel are currently prohibited from attending events at public venues, e.g., bars, restaurants, hotels, etc.
American citizens are advised to:
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep some form of communication charged and with you
- Monitor local media for updates
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.