Location: Mali, countrywide
During the holiday season, security measures remain heightened due to ongoing threats posed by transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology throughout Africa. Violent extremists continue plotting kidnappings and attacks in Mali. They may attack with little or no warning, targeting night clubs, hotels, restaurants, places of worship, Western diplomatic missions, and other locations frequented by foreigners. Please exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at holiday events.
Additionally, there is often a spike in crime during the holiday season. Crimes such as robberies, thefts, and burglaries often increase dramatically as criminals target holiday shoppers carrying cash and gifts. If possible, avoid carrying large amounts of cash, do not leave gifts in unattended vehicles, and properly secure your residence at all times.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance throughout the holiday season.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Secure your residence and personal property.
- Use caution when driving at night and avoid walking after dark.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.