December 21, 2018
Event: During the holiday season security measures in Mali remain heightened due to ongoing threats posed by transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology throughout Africa.
The U.S. Embassy has implemented additional security measures for its personnel during the holiday season. U.S. government employees are prohibited from staying in hotels throughout the holiday season and from attending New Year’s Eve celebrations at public venues. The U.S. Embassy encourages U.S. citizens to use common sense and good judgement when celebrating this holiday season.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans.
- Exercise additional vigilance throughout the holiday season.
- Avoid public venues frequented by westerners such as hotels, bars, nightclubs, and restaurants.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- If you think a venue would be a good target for terrorist activities, don’t stay.
- Use caution when driving at night and avoid walking after dark.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.