Security Alert – U.S. Embassy, Bamako, Mali – March 18, 2021
Location: Bamako, Mali
The U.S. Embassy in Mali has received information indicating that a terrorist attack in Bamako may be imminent, possibly targeting diplomatic facilities or relatively vulnerable targets, such as hotels.
The Department of State’s travel advisory for Mali recommends that U.S. citizens do not travel to Mali due to COVID-19, crime, terrorism, and kidnapping.
U.S. citizens are advised to:
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a means of communication (cell phone, etc.) with you at all times
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.