Following reports of gunfire at Kati military base, the U.S. Embassy in Mali continues to monitor the evolving security situation and reminds U.S. citizens to check local media for updates.
U.S. Embassy employees are no longer sheltering in place; however, employees have been advised to avoid nonessential travel until July 27, 2022. This includes avoiding crowded areas and venues frequented by Westerners.
Actions to take:
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a means of communication (cell phone, etc.) charged, and with you at all times
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.