The U.S. Embassy in Mali advises U.S. citizens that a terrorist attack in Bamako may be planned targeting Malian government offices, the airport, and/or locations frequented by Westerners including diplomatic facilities, hotels, and restaurants.
The U.S. Embassy has taken the following additional steps in response to the ongoing security threats:
- A curfew has been implemented for Embassy employees from 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. daily.
- Employee travel within Bamako may be limited.
Actions to take:
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a means of communication (cell phone, etc.) charged, and with you at all times
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.