Location: Bamako, Mali
The U.S. Embassy in Mali advises U.S. citizens that a terrorist attack in Bamako may be planned targeting Malian government offices, the airport, and/or locations frequented by Westerners including diplomatic facilities, hotels, and restaurants.
The U.S. Embassy has taken the following additional steps in response to the ongoing security threats:
- A curfew has been implemented for Embassy staff from 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. daily.
- Employees have been advised to avoid crowded areas and venues frequented by Westerners.
U.S. citizens are advised to:
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners
- Review your personal security plans
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a means of communication (cell phone, etc.) with you at all times
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.