Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali (October 11, 2018)
Location: Bamako and Siby, Mali
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Bamako advises U.S. citizens of a recent crime trend. Armed robberies or “car-jackings” on Route National 5 between Siby and Bamako have killed four people in nearly a dozen incidents. According to Malian police, the attackers typically hide in the woods and ambush passing vehicles, particularly in or around the evening hours, using makeshift barricades to slow traffic.
The U.S. Embassy has placed travel restrictions on U.S. Embassy personnel traveling outside of the Bamako Capital District and has prohibited travel outside of the Bamako Capital District after dark.
Actions to Take:
- Use caution when traveling Route National 5 between Siby and Bamako, and avoid this area during evening hours.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night, particularly outside of Bamako Capital District.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Review your personal security plans.
- S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
- +223 20 70 23 00
- +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.