Location: Bamako and other major cities in Mali
Event: The potential for violence is heightened on and around Mali’s presidential elections scheduled for July 29, 2018. While the most recent election-related demonstration that took place on June 8, 2018 was peaceful, other rallies have turned violent. Additionally, there is an ongoing threat of attacks against hotels, restaurants, bars, and other places frequented by Westerners, particularly in Bamako and other major cities in Mali.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of any demonstrations or protests
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings
- Avoid vulnerable locations with poor security measures
- Be vigilant and take steps to enhance your personal security
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
+223 20 70 23 00
+223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.