The U.S. Embassy in Bamako has received information concerning threats of potential terrorist attacks targeting locations associated with the international community throughout Mali.
Although the U.S. Embassy has not made any changes to its operating procedures at this time, the Embassy will continue to review its security procedures and its recommended advice to citizens and will inform U.S. citizens of any changes. U.S. citizens are reminded to keep a low profile and maintain good situational awareness. The U.S. Embassy encourages citizens to have strong communications plans in place and, should the need arise, be prepared to quickly and safely leave the immediate area of an attack.
The U.S. Embassy continues to advise U.S. citizens to:
- avoid restaurants, bars, clubs, churches, theaters, shopping centers, museums, public organized events, and any location where a significant number of westerners gather.
- reduce exposure to places frequented by westerners. If you must go to these venues, or be in close proximity to these venues, carry redundant forms of communication and advise someone where you are going and when you plan to return.
- use the buddy system by partnering with someone when travelling in and around the city for practical reasons, such as to go food shopping or visit recreational facilities. We remind all U.S. citizens that movement during daylight hours is preferred and far safer than at night.
- ALWAYS: exercise caution, remain vigilant, maintain situational awareness at all times, vary routes and times, and take appropriate security precautions to ensure your own safety.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mali.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bamako, located at t ACI 2000, Rue 243 Porte 297, at +223 20 70 23 00 at 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from Monday – Thursday; 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +223 66 75 95 79 or +223 66 75 28 60.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.