U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
Planned Demonstrations in Bamako on August 16 and 18
August 15, 2017
The U.S. Embassy has learned that demonstrations are scheduled to take place in Bamako this week. Malian authorities and newspapers report the likelihood of a heavy police and security presence with traffic diversions in and around the demonstrations at Monument d’Independence and the French Embassy. We strongly urge U.S. citizens to avoid the area. Though the size of the protest is unknown, recent demonstrations have attracted over 30,000 people.
As of now, demonstrations are planned for August 16 and 18. As these dates are subject to change, you should follow local media for updates.
- A demonstration is planned for Wednesday, August 16, starting at 09:00 from Monument de l’Independance to the National Assembly. This demonstration is likely to attract large numbers of participants. Some participants have called for increased “civil disobedience” and it is unclear if the crowds could become unruly or dangerous.
- A second demonstration is planned for Friday, August 18, from 14:00 to 17:00 in front of the French Embassy.
The U.S. Embassy reminds citizens that demonstrations intended to be peaceful can become confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid all areas where large crowds are gathering and exercise caution in the vicinity of protests and public demonstrations.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
The Department of State advises against all travel to Mali in its Travel Warning for Mali.
For further information:
- Please review the Travel Warning for Mali issued on June 29, 2017. Also check the U.S. Embassy Bamako website and the Mali Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mali on Twitter and Facebook.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bamako, located at ACI 2000, Rue 243 Porte 297, at +223 20 70 23 00 at 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from Monday – Thursday; 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +223 66 75 95 79 or +223 66 75 28 60.
- General information may be found on the State Department’s travel website, including the Worldwide Caution of March 6th, 2017.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).