The U.S. Embassy wishes to inform U.S. citizens that Mali will hold local elections on November 20. While the elections are expected to be peaceful, U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution during this period.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Mali Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bamako, located at ACI 2000, Rue 243 Porte 297, at +223 20 70 23 00 at 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from Monday – Thursday; 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +223 66 75 95 79 or +223 66 75 28 60.
- General information may be found on the State Department’s travel website, including the Worldwide Caution of September 9th.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.