Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the CRBA, Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

Applicants born abroad who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth but who are over the age of 18 (and so not eligible for a CRBA) may wish to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship to document acquisition pursuant to 8 U.S.C. 1452.  Visit for further information.

CRBA Application Documents

For CRBA applications, the parents must provide the following:

The transmitting parent must prove he or she was a U.S. citizen prior to the birth of the child by submitting any one of the following documents (original AND one photocopy):

  • an original U.S. Birth Certificate, or
  • a certified U.S. Birth Certificate, *or
  • an original  U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad or
  • an original U.S. Certification of Birth, or
  • an original U.S. Certificate of Citizenship, or
  • an original U.S. Naturalization Certificate.

* Some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes. You may order a birth certificate online here: National Center for Health Statistics.

Please complete Form DS-2029.

Please refer to the side box on this page for guidance on how to properly fill out the section on physical presence

If transmitting parent cannot be present during the interivew, please:

  • Notarize oath/affirmation of financial support – if children born out of wedlock (pg. 3)
  • Notarized oath/affirmation of truthful disclosure (pg. 4)
  • Important Note: The notarized DS-2029 form must be less than 3 months old and notarized by certified a U.S. or European notary. 


A parent must have been a U.S citizen and have spent at least five years physically located in the U.S. prior to the child’s birth in order to transmit citizenship.  At least two years of physical presence must be after the parent’s 14th birthday.

You must submit evidence clearly showing your U.S. presence prior to the child’s birth. Declarations alone are generally insufficient. The burden of proof is solely with the applicant.

What counts as physical presence?

  • Time spent outside of the U.S. as a direct-hire employee of the U.S. Government or international organization, counts as U.S physical presence.

What DOES NOT count as physical presence?

  • Time spent outside of the United States for vacation, study, work, religious, research, business or residence does not count as U.S. physical presence.
  • Merely having a place of abode in the U.S. is not enough proof of physical presence.
  • Time spent outside of the U.S as a contractor or locally hired U.S. Government employee does not count as physical presence.

The following list of suggested documents is not all inclusive and each application will be considered on its own merits:

  • School transcripts or report cards (not just diplomas);
  • U.S. Government or international organization assignment orders;
  • U.S. armed discharge (DD-214)
  • Social Security Statement (not just the card), accompanied by a signed letter from employer(s);
  • other evidence that credibly places the subject at a place in the U.S. for a period of time including: banking, medical or work records; and passports or immigration records showing entry and exit.

The transmitting parent must demonstrate there is a blood relationship with the child. Evidence may include, but is not limited to:

  • Proof of the relationship between parents;
  • proof that both parents were together during time of conception;
  • parents’ marriage certificate;
  • CRBAs issued to other children born to the same non-transmitting parent.

A consular officer may suggest you undergo DNA testing to establish a biological relationship.


Please bring the child’s birth certificate (original and copy).

If applicable, please provide original and copy of the parents’ marriage certificate, divorce decrees and/or death certificates of prior spouses.

The transmitting parent’s civil status will help determine whether the child was born in-wedlock or out-of-wedlock for adjudication purposes.

A child born out-of-wedlock is still eligible to apply, but additional documents may be required.

Parents must present one of the following primary photo identification documents (original and one copy):

  • Current, undamaged U.S. passport (if issued less than 15 years ago)
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Valid Driver’s License
  • Current Government ID

In order to confirm the minor’s identity, the consular officer is required to see the minor in person the day of the interview.

Fees must be paid at the U.S. Embassy.

The current CRBA Fee is $100. 

Payments are accepted in US Dollars or the equivalent in CFA. Fees are non-refundable.

Accepted methods of payments:

  • Cash
  • Credit card – Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and Diners Club


You must have the following documents ready before making an appointment.  Failure to bring the required documents may result in significant processing delays.


  • Proof of U.S. citizenship prior to child’s birth
  • Notarized Form DS-2029
  • Proof of at least five years of physical presence
  • Proof of blood relationship to child
  • Child’s birth certificate
  • Parents’ original marriage certificate – if applicable
  • Evidence of termination of all prior marriages of parents – if applicable
  • Photo identification for parents
  • CRBA Application fee
  • Photocopies of all civil documents

If you are applying for a passport at the same time, you must also bring the following required documents:

  • Form DS-11
  • One photo (5 cm x 5 cm)
  • Parental consent – if one parent is not present
  • Statement of exigent/special family circumstances – if needed
  • Passport application fee

If you have all the documents listed above, please email to arrange an appointment.

Passport Application Documents

If you are applying for a U.S. passport for your child at the same time as submitting the CRBA application, you must also bring the following required documents:

Complete Form DS-11. Be sure to answer all questions accurately as any mistakes may result in a delay.

Please refer to the side box on this page for guidance on how to print the completed form.  Adobe Acrobat is required. 

  • Print one-sided pages only. Make sure that the bar code is clearly shown on the top left hand corner of the form.
  • ** DO NOT SIGN. The DS-11 form must be signed in front of the Consular Officer.
  • Social Security Number: If the applicant does not currently have an SSN then he/she should fill in the passport application SSN box # 5 with zeros. Applicats with no SSN MUST also fill out and sign the SSN Declaration (PDF-80 kb) and submit it with the passport application. Absence of the form will result in a delay of passport adjudication.

We require that all applications be completed online and printed from a laser printer. 

Photos must be:

  • 2 x 2 inches (5cm x5cm)
  • In white background
  • Do NOT staple or paperclip the photo to your application

Note: French photo booth photographs are NOT acceptable for U.S. passport issuance.

For more information regarding photos read the detailed photo requirements or visit the Department of State website page.

Both parents/guardians must appear in person with the minor and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the minor.

If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 application must be accompanied by the original signed, notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent (41KB PDF) from the non-applying parent/guardian.

  • Important Note: The notarized DS-3053 form must be less than 3 months old and notarized by certified a U.S. or European notary. New written consent from the non-applying parent must be obtained and submitted with any future passport application for the minor under age 16. 

If the minor only has one parent/guardian, evidence (original and one copy) of sole authority to apply for the minor must be submitted with the application in the form of a:

  • U.S. or foreign birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or adoption decree, listing only the applying parent
  • Court order granting sole legal custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order)
  • Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s travel with the child
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent
  • Death certificate of the non-applying parent

Please complete DS-5525 Form (41KB PDF), only if you are the applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian, or sole custody cannot be obtained in a timely manner.

The statement must explain in detail the unavailability of the non-applying parent or guardian and describe recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent or guardian.  You may also be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document your claim of exigent or special circumstances.

Please bring additional photocopies of all civil documents enumerated in the CRBA Application Section as well as the Passport Application section on this page.

Fees must be paid at the U.S. Embassy.

Review the most current passport fees and payment methods. Payments are accepted in US Dollars or the equivalent in CFA. Fees are non-refundable.

Accepted methods of payments:

  • Cash
  • Credit card – Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and Diners Club